Electrical contractors, electrical workers and metering providers involved in the roll out of smart meters must ensure that antenna/communication wiring systems are suitably segregated from electrical wiring in accordance with the Wiring Rules.
Wiring systems must be selected and installed in a way to avoid any detrimental effects arising between:
- electrical installations and telecommunication/data cable installations
- different electrical installations
- different parts of the same electrical installation
- circuits operating at different voltages
- circuits supplying different safety services
- safety services and the remainder of the electrical installation
- electrical installations and non-electrical installations, such as gas and water supply.
Recently, a coaxial cable was found inside a domestic electrical switchboard without suitable segregation from low voltage electrical cabling (pictured below). This presented an electrical safety risk if there was a breakdown in cable insulation. The issue was rectified following ESO enforcement action.
ESO continues to conduct audits throughout Queensland which include a focus on the installation of smart meters in residential switchboards.