On 21 March 1923 in the presence of 10,000 people on City Beach Oval, Sandringham was declared a city by Victoria’s Governor the Earl of Stradbroke.
Sandringham has an interesting history and was originally part of the Shire of Moorabbin. On 28 February 1917, it was severed from Moorabbin and incorporated as the Borough of Sandringham. On 9 April 1919, Sandringham was proclaimed a Town and on 21 March 1923, it was declared a city.
On 15 December 1994, the City of Sandringham along with the City of Brighton and parts of the City of Moorabbin, plus the eastern section of Beaumaris from the City of Mordialloc, merged into the newly created City of Bayside.
Here are some photographs from Bayside City Council’s Art and Heritage Collection that marked the occasion. The first three images show the celebration at City Beach Oval, while the last two show the Councillors of the first meeting of the new city.