The Australia versus India Fourth Test at the Gabba on Friday will go ahead.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was good news for Queensland cricket fans.
“Like most elite events last year which saw Queensland host several sporting bubbles, COVID-19 has made preparing for Friday’s Test anything but routine,” the Premier said.
“We’ll keep listening to the strong medical advice of the Chief Health Officer to keep Queenslanders safe and our economy strong.
“The Fourth Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy at the Gabba is no exception.”
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said new health precautions would apply to the Fourth Test at the Gabba.
“These new precautions for the Gabba will allow the Test to continue safety and help us to protect Queenslanders and players,” Dr Young said.
- Maximum daily capacity at Gabba to be capped at 50 per cent, or approximately 18,000 spectators per day;
- Mandatory mask-wearing for game entry and exit and while moving around the stadium, including when buying food and drink;
- An allocated checkerboard seating layout for social distancing; and
- Existing tickets to be refunded by Cricket Australia and new ticketing arrangements put in place by CA to enable social distancing of spectators.
“These precautions for the fourth Test are consistent with the SCG and the MCG for the earlier Tests to reduce the risk of seeding COVID, particularly the new UK strain we’ve detected in Greater Brisbane,” Dr Young said.
Sports Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said it was important people adhered to the rules to ensure a safe event.
“These are small sacrifices to make to ensure we can enjoy cricket at the Gabba and keep Queenlsanders safe,” the Minister said.
“I want to thank Cricket Australia and the BCCI for working closely with the Chief Health Officer and the Queensland Government to make this a COVID-safe Test.
“With the extraordinary spirit of cooperation behind the scenes, I’m confident we’re going to witness a great Test at the Gabba this week.”
Nick Hockley, CA’s Interim CEO, said the ongoing safety of fans, staff, players, broadcast partners and match officials is the number one priority ahead of the fourth Vodafone Test in Brisbane. “We have been working closely with Queensland Health to ensure our strong biosecurity plans guarantees the fourth Test at the Gabba is played safely,” he said. “Throughout the season, we have developed a strong track record for a safe and responsible return to sport thanks to our well-established biosecurity protocols, the ongoing support from public health officials and the incredible hard work of so many people across Australian cricket. “I want to thank the Queensland Government for their cooperation and willingness to working closely with CA and the BCCI so we can deliver the fourth Test as planned, but more importantly delivering on a plan that places the safety and wellbeing of the players, match officials and the wider community as a top priority,” Hockley said.