Australia Debuts PolAir-Remote in Moree

NSW Police is officially launching PolAir-Remote – an Australian first policing aviation capability that will boost police resources in the state's west.

PolAir-Remote – a collaboration between Aviation Command and Technology and Communication Services Command – will see remotely-piloted drones being used to assist operational police in responding to and investigating incidents.

The use of drones will allow regional police to utilise aerial assets without the need for an on-site pilot. Instead, the drones will be remotely piloted from a 'Remote Operations Centre' at Bankstown Airport, with real-time video being fed back to operational police.

Moree is the first location in which the drones have been installed and trialled to support frontline police in preventing, disrupting and responding to criminal activity.

Since their installation on the rooftop of the Moree Police Station on Thursday 8 January 2026, the two drones have been activated to coordinate successful responses and arrests for assaults, break and enters, vehicle recoveries and have assisted during an Operation Soteria surge.

The drones will also assist police in providing situational awareness during public safety incidents and other emergencies, including search and rescue operations and missing people searches.

The drones are housed in a self-contained box where they launch, land and recharge.

The trial in Moree will run for six months, with the technology set to expand to other locations in the future.

Minister for Police and Counter-terrorism Yasmin Catley said community safety was the highest priority for the NSW Government, and the Government was committed to giving police the resources they need to maintain it.

"Today we're announcing an Australian-first drone trial to strengthen policing in our regional communities - starting right here in Moree," Minister Catley said.

"Our police have an incredibly difficult job, dealing with a complex and evolving range of issues every single day. This investment is about making their job easier and safer, so they can focus on protecting the community on the ground.

"We know there is more to do to rebuild trust after a shocking spate of incidents that left communities fearful. The NSW Government and NSW Police are doing everything possible to address that, and we will continue working to restore confidence and keep people safe."

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner for Regional NSW Field Operations Paul Pisanos APM said PolAir-Remote was a demonstration of the NSW Police's commitment to technological advancement in policing.

"PolAir-Remote is an Australian first. This is the first time drones will be used in this capacity - where they will be remotely piloted without the need for an on-site pilot - by a police force in the country," Deputy Commissioner Pisanos said.

"The drones are an expansion of the existing aviation capabilities used across the state and will support frontline police in preventing, disrupting and responding to criminal activity in Moree.

"We have worked closely with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for the implementation of this technology and I want to thank them for their strong support.

"The trial has so far proven to be successful in tackling regional crime and giving the region a boost in operational resources.

"I want to reassure the community that PolAir-Remote will only be used for operational and investigative purposes."

Incidents of note in which the drones have been used in Moree since their installation:

Incident 1: About 7.45pm on Thursday 25 December 2025, police were called to Bourne Street, West Tamworth, following reports of an assault, in which a 19-year-old man allegedly struck a 23-year-old man with a machete. The older man was taken to Tamworth Hospital for treatment and police commenced an investigation. Following inquiries, on Friday 16 January 2026, police were notified the 19-year-old man was in the Moree area. Police attended and the man ran from the scene. PolAir-Remote was subsequently activated and assisted in tracking down the 19-year-old man, who had jumped multiple fences and ran into several yards. He was located by police and arrested before being taken to Moree Police Station, where he was charged with wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He is due to face Tamworth Local Court next month.

Incident 2: About 3.30am on Tuesday 27 January 2026, police were called to a house on Merindah Avenue, Moree, following reports of a break and enter. Police attended and were told four males had broken into the house and allegedly assaulted two residents. Police commenced an investigation and, following inquiries, about 3pm on Wednesday 28 January 2026, with the assistance of PolAir-Remote, police attended two addresses in Moree and arrested a 17-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man. The boy was charged with aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence-use violence, be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner and hinder or resist police officer in the execution of duty. He is due to face a children's court in February. The man has been charged with aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence-use violence, commit section 112(2) offence and disseminate and be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner. He is due to face Moree Local Court in March.

Incident 3: About 2.55am on Monday 26 January 2026, police were called to a house on Amaroo Drive, Moree, following reports of a break and enter. Officers attended and were told a group of people, one of whom was armed with a machete, had broken into the house and threatened a 76-year-old woman and an 86-year-old man before allegedly stealing two sets of car keys. They left the scene in the two allegedly stolen vehicles. Police established a crime scene and commenced an investigation. Following inquiries, about 12pm on Wednesday 4 February 2026, police attended and address in Moree, and, with the assistance of PolAir-Remote, arrested a 14-year-old boy. He was taken to Moree Police Station, where he was charged with be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner and breach of bail. He was refused bail to appear before a children's court on Wednesday 4 February 2026. The two vehicles were also recovered by police.

Incident 4: During Operation Soteria, on Friday 6 February 2026, a 43-year-old man – wanted for three outstanding warrants – was arrested at a restaurant on Frome Street, Moree. He was charged with 21 offences, including breach of bail, custody of knife in public place, assault police officer in execution of duty cause actual bodily harm, and goods in personal custody suspected being stolen (not motor vehicle). He was refused bail and appeared before Bail Division Court 5 on Saturday 7 February 2026.

Incident 5: About 5.30am on Monday 26 January 2026, police were called to a motel in Inverell, following reports of a break, enter and stealing. Police attended and were told a group of people had entered a motel room and stole car keys, before leaving the scene in the stolen SUV. As part of police inquiries, with the assistance of PolAir-Remote, the stolen vehicle was located in bushland, near Anne Street, Moree, by the bank of the Mehi River, about 7.30am on Tuesday 27 January 2026. The vehicle was seized for forensic examination.

Incident 6: During an Operation Soteria surge, which was conducted from Thursday 5 February 2026, to Saturday 7 February 2026, PolAir-Remote was activated to assist frontline police. While in fight, the drone observed a number of fires throughout the Moree township. Fire crews were subsequently notified of the fires by police and attended to extinguish the blazes.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.