A consortium backed by the superannuation of more than seven million Australians today announced a detailed plan for Melbourne’s long-awaited airport rail link, promising the fastest travel times, a premium around-the-clock service and enhanced access for regional Victorians.
AirRail Melbourne, comprising IFM Investors, Melbourne Airport, Metro Trains Australia and Southern Cross Station, today unveiled its blueprint for the development of the rail link with the Victorian and Australian Governments.
Under the $15 billion plan, AirRail Melbourne is proposing to match the $5 billion funding announced by both the Victorian and Commonwealth Governments to build a world-class link that unlocks additional rail capacity and creates thousands of new jobs.
· 20-minute travel time to the city, using a redeveloped Sunshine Station super-hub to provide greater access for regional passengers;
· Construction-ready in late 2020, two years earlier than currently planned;
· 24/7 trains, departing every 10 minutes during peak periods, with passengers fast-tracked at Southern Cross Station and Melbourne Airport to cut interchange times;
· One-way tickets at less than $20 in today’s prices;
· Reduction of 10 minutes from travel times for regional services into the city via new dedicated tracks;
· Supporting 12,000 jobs each year during construction and stimulating 13,000 jobs in Melbourne’s west and Victoria’s regions; and
· 27 kilometres of new track and twin rail tunnels to deliver a premium airport rail service and open up additional capacity for rail services to Melbourne’s booming west.
The ‘Super Train’ proposal would connect the entire Victorian rail network with the airport, cut road congestion in Melbourne’s west and north and complement the Metro Tunnel and proposed Suburban Rail Loop projects. AirRail Melbourne will submit its plan to government this week.
AirRail Melbourne represents a logical combination of globally recognised transport operators and investors. With the operators of both Melbourne Airport and Southern Cross Station in the consortium, and experience in international airport rail links, AirRail Melbourne is uniquely placed to accelerate the delivery of this city-shaping project for the benefit of all Victorians and visitors to the state.