Chimney fire sparks warning to community

Kyabram Fire Brigade Captain Mick Crompton has urged residents to clean their chimneys and check other heating appliances following a damaging chimney fire in Kyvalley on 4 June.

Chimney fire sparks warning to community

Firefighters from Kyabram and Tongala brigades attended the scene at around 8pm with the support of Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) crews.

The fire was caused by a build-up of creosote within the chimney area of an old combustion stove within the residence.

This caused the chimney to ignite and damage the two-storey structure.

“The main thing for people to do is to get them cleaned regularly,” Cpt Crompton said.

“We take firing up the stove and fireplace for granted in winter, thinking it will be fine.”

“Often people aren’t aware of the build-up of birds’ nests, creosote which can happen over time and cause fires like this one.”

Crews deemed the incident under control just before 11.30pm on 4 June.

“Firefighters worked for around an hour extinguishing the fire once the platform appliance had arrived, trying to mitigate damage to the property and stopping the fire from spreading.”

Once the fire was extinguished, crews were released from the scene after 12.17am on 5 June.

/CFA News Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.