Cybersecurity is essential for businesses connected to the internet and thattransact online. There can be a significant cost to business if their data orpayment process is compromised or IT systems are disrupted by cybercriminals.Cyber-crime relating to business email compromise is increasing the NT, with NTPolice advising an average $70,000 loss per victim business.*
Thisawareness program enables local small businesses and not for profitorganisations to hear from cyber experts on how to better protect theirorganisations from cyberattacks and cyberfraud.
WayneRonaldson, an ethical hacker, will explain how hackers attack defence suppliersand small businesses with case studies about physical and computer systemcompromises. Ronaldson has presented at international cyber conferencesDerybcon, Defcon2018 and RSA 2019 in the USA and will highlight how businessescan be vulnerable to cyber intrusion.
TheAustralian Cyber Security Centre will discuss the cyber threat landscape, whybusinesses are targeted and cyber protections; while the Defence IndustrySecurity Program will detail program reforms to support businesses to becomedefence-ready.
TheCentre for Defence Industry Capability will discuss cyber security requirementsfor the local defence supply chain.
Thefree Cyber Smart for Business briefings in Darwin and Alice Springs for smallbusinesses and not-for-profit organisations will detail cyber smart practicesto help prevent falling victim to cybercrime, particularly invoice based fraudsor business email compromise.
Briefingsspecifically for the seniors community will also be provided as part of theprogram to ensure seniors are updated on cyber protection measures.
TheCyber Security Awareness Program is delivered in partnership with theAustralian Cyber Security Centre, Australian Defence Industry Security Program,the Centre for Defence Industry Capability and the Australian InformationSecurity Association.
Toregister to attend visit becybersmart.nt.gov.au
- Be Cyber Smart presentation for Seniors Thursday 22 August, 11am 12.30pm
- Cyber Smart for Business Briefing Thursday 22 August, 2pm – 3.30pm (for businesses and not-for-profit organisations)
- Be Cyber Smart presentation for Seniors Thursday 16 August, 10am 11.30am
- Cyber for the ICT Sector workshop – Wednesday 11 September 8.30am 10am
- Cyber Smart for Business Briefing Wednesday 11 September, 11am 12.30pm (for businesses and not-for-profit organisations)
- Defence and Cyber Ready Briefing Wednesday 11 September, 1.30pm 5pm
*NT PoliceMedia Release Cyber fraud costing Territory organisations thousands Wednesday5 June 2019.