Do I need a permit for a shipping container?

Swan Hill Rural City Council is reminding residents to obtain a Building Permit prior to placing a shipping container on their land.

The Victorian Building Authority said steel shipping containers being placed on properties being used as storage sheds and other uses, are not exempt from obtaining a Building Permit.

Swan Hill Rural City Council Director Development and Planning, Heather Green said a shipping container like all other building works must be compliant.

“Shipping containers, like all other building work, must comply with all the requirements of the Building Act, Building Regulations and National Construction Code that apply to that particular use, including obtaining a Building Permit, prior to being placed on the property.

“Depending on the zoning of the land in the Planning Scheme, a Planning Permit may also be required,” Ms Green added.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.