The Federal and State Ministers for Veterans’ Affairs Darren Chester and Guy Barnett today unveiled 33 headstones and plaques for World War One Veterans buried at Cornelian Bay cemetery.
The Tasmanian Headstone Project was created in 2011 to properly honour veterans who were buried in unmarked graves or in circumstances where a headstone had been lost.
Experts have advised that there may be more than 250 soldiers who are buried in unmarked graves in the cemetery.
Headstones have been placed on 201 of these graves, with an additional 33 being unveiled today.
“To be buried without acknowledgement after having served your country in battle is a tragic and sad circumstance,” Mr Chester said.
“I congratulate the Headstone Project for the extensive work they have done to bring this project to fruition and ensure that these the First World War servicemen are appropriately recognised here in Tasmania.
“The headstones will be a lasting tribute to those who have proudly served Australia.
“As a nation it is incredibly important we remember and reflect on the service of the almost two million Australians who have served in the Navy, Army and Air Force over a century of service.”
Mr Barnett said the headstones restore a lasting legacy to our fallen, after a century of neglect.
“They link the past to the present and enable people to remember and respect the service and sacrifice of those who fought and died for their country,” Mr Barnett said.
While in Hobart Mr Chester met veterans groups in a round-table workshop at Anglesea Barracks and inspected progress on three projects funded under the Anzac Centenary Public Fund Board.
Federal Government funding for the three Public Fund projects totals almost $10 million; including the $8 million Bridge of Remembrance, linking the Cenotaph in Hobart with the Queens Domain Walk; the $1.1 million Soldiers Memorial Avenue; and the $300,000 Flame of Remembrance at the Cenotaph.
Mr Chester’s visit coincides with Legacy Week which is running from the 2nd of September until Saturday the 8th.