- Launched by Bicycle Network in 2006, Ride2School is a nationally run, year-round behaviour change initiative that works to make active travel normal for students while improving school outcomes
- The program tailors its assistance to suit the needs or overcome active travel barriers faced by both primary and secondary school communities
- Schools that participate in the Ride2School program average an active travel rate of 50%, more than double the national average
The facts about riding to school
- Bike riding is the easiest way to get healthy: It’s recommended children get 60 minutes of physical activity every day to maintain their health, and riding a bike to school is an easy and fun way to make sure they are hitting this target. It’s also a great way for parents to spend quality time with their children.
- Physical activity rates are increasing: In the 1970’s 80% of all school children rode or walked to school but now more than two-thirds go by car. Thanks to Ride2School that trend is reversing – schools that participate in the Ride2School Program report an average active travel rate of 54%.
- It’s helps build confidence: Riding, walking, skating or scooting to school will make your students feel more self-sufficient, build resilience and helps them to develop an awareness of road safety and the environment around them.
- Students perform better in class: Being active on the school journey has a much greater impact on student concentration than having breakfast before school. A Danish study has shown that children who walk or ride to school display improved concentration for 4 hours longer than those who are driven.
About Bicycle Network
- Bicycle Network is Australia’s largest bike riding organisation and works to combat physical inactivity and poor health – two of three Australians don’t get enough exercise and the best way to address this is through bike riding
- Represents 50,000 bike riding members across Australia
- Campaigns to build more places to ride and make bike riding safer for all Australians
- Conducts national behaviour change programs including Ride2School and Ride2Work
- Runs world class events including Around the Bay, RACV Great Victorian Bike Ride, Newcrest Orange Challenge, Peaks Challenge Series and Gravel Grit —
/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).