Volunteers from Meals on Wheels Armidale and Uralla received a top award at yesterday’s 2019 New England Volunteer Awards for the valuable contribution they provide to the local community.
Meals on Wheels Armidale and Uralla was presented with the Alwyn Jones Community Award, during a ceremony at the council chambers in Armidale.
The not-for-profit organisation has a team of 200 volunteers delivering 3000 nutritional meals per month to elderly people. The service enables clients to remain in their homes and retain their independence for longer, as well as providing them with social interaction.
Armidale Cancer Council was also a top achiever in yesterday’s awards ceremony, receiving the Armidale Volunteer Referral Service Volunteer Team of the Year award.
The Senior Volunteer of the year (65 years +) prize was jointly awarded to Shirley Cook and Roy Bennett. Shirley was nominated for her contributions to the University of the Third Age Armidale and Roy was selected for his dedication to Guyra’s branch of the Westpac Helicopter Group.
Romayne Grace was named Adult Volunteer of the Year for her work at Armidale Care for Seniors. Romayne has been volunteering with Care for Seniors since 2011 and is always bright and cheerful, providing a happy face as the first point of contact within the office.
The awards are coordinated by Council’s Armidale Volunteer Referral Service in conjunction with Armidale Uniting Church, which has been organising the Alwyn Jones Community Award since 2005.
The awards ceremony was hosted during the 2019 National Volunteer Week, which celebrates the six million Australians who generously volunteer their time.
Armidale Volunteer Referral Service Coordinator Jane Davies said National Volunteer Week and the awards ceremony provide “a great opportunity for us all to thank the many volunteers who help to make our community stronger and to acknowledge and appreciate their efforts and commitment”.
Other Alwyn Jones Community Award nominees:
- Armidale / Uralla Meals on Wheels
- Romayne Grace
- Shirley Cook
- Armidale Community
Other Armidale Volunteer Referral Service award nominees:
- Armidale Sanctuary Home Reading (Team category)
- Dianne Burey (Adult category)
- Roy Bennett (Senior category)
- Guyra Lamb & Potato Festival Committee Inc. (Team category)
- Armidale / Uralla Meals on Wheels (Team category)
- Armidale Cancer Council Information Service (Team category)
- Romayne Grace (Adult category)
- Shirley Cook nominated (Senior category)
- Armidale Community Radio (Team category)
- Ruth Nicholls (Senior category)
- Cathy Banton (Adult category)
- Jess Schmidt (Adult category)
- Rita Lockyer (Adult category)
- Hinton’s Journal Research Team (Team category)
- Darrell Whan (Senior category)