Man in court over two separate stabbings at Newcastle

A man will appear in court today charged over two separate alleged stabbings at a shopping centre complex in Newcastle last week.

About 8.45pm on Thursday 18 June 2020, a 38-year-old man was allegedly stabbed by another man in the carpark of a shopping centre on Turton Road, Waratah.

The man suffered cuts to his forearm and was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition.

In a separate incident, a 26-year-old woman was allegedly stabbed by a man in the carpark of a shopping centre on Wallace Street, Waratah, about 2pm on Sunday 21 June 2020. The woman was with the 38-year-old man at the time of the incident.

She suffered a stab wound to her arm and was taken to John Hunter Hospital, where she has since undergone surgery.

Officers from Newcastle City Police District commenced an investigation into the incidents, which are believed to be linked and targeted.

Following inquiries, detectives arrested a 20-year-old man at a home on Harriet Street, Waratah, about 6.20am today (Tuesday 23 June 2020).

The man was taken to Waratah Police Station and charged with two counts of wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

“I commend police on their tenacious work which has resulted in the arrest of the man,” said Commander of Newcastle City Police District Superintendent Brett Greentree.

“These attacks were targeted, and police acted swiftly to put someone before the courts,” said Superintendent Greentree.

“Any serious incident that occurs in the community is of great concern and our priority is keeping the community safe.”

The man has been refused bail and is due to appear in Newcastle Local Court today (Tuesday 23 June 2020).

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.