The Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, today announced two appointments to Marine Atlantic Inc. The appointees come from diverse backgrounds, with experience in a number of fields, and are active members of their communities. They bring a wide array of knowledge and senior executive and corporate governance expertise to their transportation positions.
- Gary Joseph O’Brien (Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland) appointed as a Chairperson for a term of five years; and
- John Joseph Butler (St. John’s, Newfoundland) appointed as a Director for a term of four years.
These individuals were appointed under the Government of Canada’s open, transparent and merit-based Governor-in-Council appointment process, striving for gender parity and seeking to reflect Canada’s diversity.
pleased to announce that these highly qualified Canadians have agreed to serve
in the transportation sector. Their appointments will ensure continued good
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport
The Minister of Transport is responsible for appointments to 53 portfolio organizations, which include:
- 8 Crown corporations;
- 4 administrative tribunal/agencies;
- 21 Canadian Airport Authorities;
- 17 Canada Port Authorities; and
- 3 shared governance organizations.