NSW COVID-19 cases soar: new record of current outbreak

NSW announced 163 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, a new record of the latest outbreak. All of NSW is now designated as an “extreme risk zone”.

NSW health minister Brad Hazzard said he was “disappointed” by the response from other states when New South Wales has asked for help in dealing with this outbreak.

Jeremy McAnulty of NSW Health said 18 cases in Pendle Hill arose from a mourning event, and showed how family gatherings can lead to outbreaks.

Of these locally acquired cases, 87 are linked to a known case or cluster – 62 are household contacts and 25 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 76 cases is under investigation.

73 cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 26 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period. 45 cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of 19 cases remains under investigation.

One case was acquired overseas in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. Four previously reported cases have been excluded following further investigation, bringing the total number of cases in NSW since the beginning of the pandemic to 7,462.

Sadly, a man in his 80s from south-west Sydney died at Liverpool hospital yesterday (Friday). NSW Health extends its deepest sympathies to his loved ones.

This man’s death was announced yesterday and is included in today’s figures. This brings the total number of COVID-related deaths in NSW to 62, including six during the current outbreak.