Five people have been charged after allegedly staging an illegal protest in the Sydney CBD today.
About 8am (Monday 29 March 2021), an estimated 20-30 protestors occupied the intersection of Bathurst and George Streets. The protest was unauthorised and occurred without warning.
Officers from Sydney City Police Area Command, along with specialist police resources, attended the scene.
Two women, aged 23 and 32, and one man, aged 36, were arrested after they allegedly affixed themselves to concrete-filled barrels which had been rolled onto the road.
A 40-year-old woman was arrested after being removed from a nearby building awning, while another woman, aged 59, was arrested after being removed from the roadway where she had allegedly glued herself to the road surface.
All five were taken to Day Street Police Station, where they were charged as follows:
• A 36-year-old man was charged with wilfully prevent free passage of person/vehicle/vessel and refuse/fail to comply with direction.
• A 32-year-old woman was charged with refuse/fail to comply with direction.
They were refused bail to appear at Central Local Court tomorrow (Tuesday 30 March 2021).
• A 40-year-old woman was charged with risk safety of another by climbing building/structure and deposit litter.
• A 59-year-old woman was charged with wilfully prevent free passage of person/vehicle/vessel.
• A 23-year-old woman was charged with refuse/fail to comply with direction.
They were granted strict conditional bail to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday 21 April 2021.