Police charge man over 1999 shooting of police officer

Logan detectives have charged a 49-year-old man with the alleged attempted murder of a police officer during a bank robbery in Browns Plains in 1999.

It is alleged on March 24 1999, two men forced entry to a bank in Browns Plains before holding staff and customers at gunpoint.

Two responding police officers attended the scene and within moments, one of the officers, was allegedly shot by an offender.

Senior Constable Neil Scutts sustained a serious gunshot wound to his groin, missing major arteries by millimetres. His firearm, a Sturm Ruger .357 six-shot revolver was allegedly stolen and is yet to be recovered.

The offenders fled on foot allegedly taking two staff members as hostages before stealing a vehicle at gunpoint.

At the time of the incident the offenders were wearing off-white plastic masks, surgical style gloves and were seen to be carrying two-way radios.

Last month, the Queensland Police Service (QPS) launched a fresh public appeal for information with a $500,000 reward on offer for anyone who could provide information leading to the arrest of a person involved.

Following an extensive investigation, detectives from the Logan Criminal Investigation Branch executed a series of search warrants on December 22.

A 49-year-old Brisbane man has been charged with 13 offences including two counts of attempted murder, three counts of robbery with actual violence whilst armed, one count of unlawful use of a motor vehicle and seven counts of deprivation of liberty.

The man is expected to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning (December 23).

Detectives continue to investigate the matter and would like to re-issue their appeal for anyone with information about the incident to come forward.

The $500,000 reward for information leading the arrest of a person/s responsible remains on offer.

Detective Inspector Tod Reid said the arrest was a major breakthrough in Australia's only unsolved police shooting case.

"The dedicated investigative team have worked tirelessly on this case and while there is still a lot of work to do, the arrest is certainly a major milestone in the investigative process," Detective Inspector Tod Reid said.

"I would like to acknowledge the assistance from the public we have received on this matter to date, and would encourage anyone with information who is yet to speak with police to come forward."

For investigative reasons, it is requested media not report the name of the defendant in this matter at this time.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day at www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting.

You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers, a registered charity and community volunteer organisation, via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24hrs per day.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.