Police are urging members of the community to be on the lookout for a tradesperson scam targeting residents in the Kiama area.
Detectives from Lake Illawarra Police District believe residents, usually living alone, could be targeted by people insisting to make repairs around the home.
Police would like to hear from anyone who has been approached recently or who has fallen victim to similar scams.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Lake Illawarra Police Station on (02) 4232 5312 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Homeowners can safeguard against becoming a victim by following a number of simple tips
• Never let anyone inside you house or unit if you don’t know them
• Always ask for identification – a business card is not enough
• Never keep large amounts of money around the house
• If you are uncertain about the credibility of tradespeople, obtain their details and contact NSW Fair Trading
• Contact your local police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.