Sydney New Year’s Eve will pay tribute to the late, great Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin during this year’s midnight fireworks display.
Aretha Franklin’s landmark hit ‘(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman’ will play as spectacular silver and gold fireworks light up Sydney Harbour.
It is one of the hits in the 2018 Sydney New Year’s Eve soundtracks, which include a mix of pop, soul, R&B and electronic music.
The 9pm and midnight soundtracks will bring this year’s theme – ‘the pulse of Sydney’ – to life for revellers as they enjoy the classic and contemporary sounds while taking in the spectacular fireworks display.
The soundtrack features Sydney artists including The Presets, The Choirboys, Vera Blue, 5 Seconds of Summer and Middle Kids. The mix crosses all genres of the local music scene, blended with popular Australian and global hits.
“Whether viewing the event from one of the many vantage points overlooking our harbour or watching on television at home, the soundtrack is a wonderful part of the New Year’s Eve experience – there is something for everyone to enjoy,” Lord Mayor Clover Moore said.
“I look forward to seeing the fireworks synchronised to these great tracks at both the 9pm show for our younger audience and at the 12-minute fireworks at midnight.”
Heath Campanaro, Director of Imagination who produces the New Year’s fireworks soundtracks, said the music plays an important part on the night, with carefully choreographed fireworks and soundtrack perfectly in sync.
“We know that these two big moments in the evening are what people are waiting for, so we have to ensure the mood is absolutely right for the night,” said Mr Campanaro.
“The energy of the music has to be bang-on, so we focus on every beat and every lyric in every song. This year’s pulse of Sydney theme gave us inspiration to create a great soundtrack.
“If there’s one thing that can always be counted on with the New Year’s fireworks display, it’s the big finale. And since the fireworks show is choreographed to the soundtrack design, revellers can expect the fireworks to finish with something epic.”
Sydneysiders can tune in to the 2018 Sydney New Year’s Eve soundtrack at 9pm and midnight accompanying the televised coverage on ABC, or simulcast via media partner, KIIS-FM.
The event will be live-streamed on sydneynewyearseve.com, ABC iView and the ABC TV Facebook page.
9pm family fireworks soundtrack list:
- Consider Yourselves Undermined (Incredibles 2) – Michael Giacchino
- Dancing On Glass – St. Lucia
- Regular Touch – Vera Blue
- Not About You – Glades
- Don’t Take The Money – Bleachers
- What About Us – P!NK
- Run To Paradise – The Choirboys
- Peach – Broods
- Youngblood – 5 Seconds Of Summer
- Better – Screaming Jets
Midnight fireworks soundtrack list:
- Lift Off (Spiderman Homecoming Soundtrack) – Michael Giacchino
- The Man – The Killers
- Out The Window – Confidence Man
- Midnight Summers Jam – Justin Timberlake
- All The Stars (Black Panther Soundtrack) – Kendrick Lamar, Sza
- Fools Gold – Jack River
- (Baby) I’ve Got You On My Mind – Powderfinger
- Lit Up – The Bamboos
- Lay Down – Touch Sensitive
- Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) – Cher
- Love Like Waves – Friendly Fires
- (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman – Aretha Franklin
- Do What You Want – The Presets
- Sabotage – Beastie Boys
- On My Knees – Middle Kids
- I Said Hi – Amy Shark
- Fight For Freedom – X-Ray Dog