IF YOU’RE an alpaca looking to enter a talent show, where do you turn for inspiration? Young readers across the region can find out during National Simultaneous Storytime next week.
Cairns Libraries branches will be taking part in the annual, national reading event on Wednesday 22 May with storytime sessions starting at 11am (10.30m at the City Library).
The mass book reading is part of a packed program of activities for Library & Information Week, starting on Monday, that includes a virtual tour of the Museum of Australia highlighting heroic animals, guidance on how to avoid online scams, and a talk from “book name” author Barbara Miller.
Organised annually by the Australian Library and Information Association, National Simultaneous Storytime, now in its 19th year, promotes the value of reading and literacy, using a book written and illustrated by Australians.
This year’s book, ‘Alpacas with Maracas’, by Matt Cosgrove, follows the story of best friends Macca and Al as they get their talent show act together.
Young residents who can’t make it to a library for National Simultaneous Storytime can still read along with their peers across the country via an interactive online storytime hosted by the author himself. Join via https://www.alia.org.au/nss.
Mayor Bob Manning said reading from a young age is critical for literacy skills but was also a great way for parents and caregivers to spend quality time with their children.
“I read regularly with my own children. There’s something magical about watching their faces when they become engrossed in a story,” Cr Manning said.
“Taking part in National Simultaneous Storytime is a great way of starting that journey or cementing reading as a regular part of a child’s life, so why not head to one of our library branches to join in.”
Cr Manning also encouraged residents to get involved in Library & Information Week, with activities across the city.
Library & Information Week Program
Monday 20 May
- 10.30am to 11.30am: Storytime at Babinda Library
Tuesday 21 May
- 10.30am to 11am: Baby Rhyme Time, Earlville Library
- 10.30am to 11.30am: Storytime at Smithfield Library
Wednesday 22 May
- 10.30 am: National Simultaneous Storytime at City Library
- 11am: National Simultaneous Storytime at Smithfield, Earlville, Edmonton, Stratford, and Babinda libraries
Thursday 23 May
- 10am to noon: Online Scams, presented by Cairns Legal Centre, Hambledon House
- 10.30am to 11.30am: Storytime, Earlville Library
- 10.30am to 11.30am: Baby Rhyme Time, City Library
- 10.30am to noon: Author visit by Barbara Miller, Smithfield Library
- 4pm to 5pm: Heroic Animals, a virtual tour of the Museum of Australia, City Library