Stabbed off-duty officer recovering after surgery, NSW

An off-duty police officer is recovering after surgery to a stab wound he received whilst trying to arrest a teenager outside a community hall in Bonnyrigg Heights overnight, NSW Police say.

Emergency services were called to the hall on Chopin Close, Bonnyrigg Heights, about 10.55pm on Friday 17 August 2018, and found a 36-year-old man with a stab wound to his torso.

The Senior Constable attached to Fairfield Police Area Command, was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, before being taken to Liverpool Hospital in a serious condition.

Police have been told the officer, who was a guest at the birthday party, intervened in an altercation outside the hall after a teenager allegedly attempted to punch another partygoer in the face.

The teenager and three other males fled from the hall across Simpson Street and the officer pursued them on foot.

The officer tried to arrest one of the teens who resisted, and they both fell to the ground.

During the struggle the officer was stabbed in the abdomen however he was able to detain the assailant until assistance arrived.

The three other males fled from the scene towards Wilson Road.

The injured officer was rushed to hospital under police escort.

The officer has since undergone surgery for the stab wound and is now in recovery where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Investigators seized a 10cm knife from the crime scene and it will be forensically examined.

A 17-year-old male who was detained at the scene was also conveyed to Fairfield Hospital for treatment to minor facial injuries.

The youth has since been released from hospital and is now assisting with inquiries at Fairfield Police Station.

Southwest Metropolitan Region Commander, Assistant Commissioner Peter Thurtell said the injured officer’s action is testament to the adage that police officers are never off-duty.

“Despite being stabbed the off-duty officer was still able to restrain the offender until he received assistance.

“The officer responded without hesitation to prevent any further incidents.

“Once again, this act of bravery confirms that police officers are never off-duty, and will up-hold their oath of office to protect life and property at all times,” Assistant Commissioner Thurtell said.

Inquiries continue to identity the three other people believed to be in the vicinity at the time.

Investigators are appealing for anyone with information about the incident to call Fairfield Police or Crime Stoppers.

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.