Stage is set to secure contractor to build new theatre

The Palaszczuk Government has called for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for a managing contractor to oversee the development of the new $150 million theatre at Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) that will support more than 100 jobs during construction.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the EOI was an exciting milestone for the new theatre, which will deliver a brand new world-class facility for Queensland and boost local employment.

“The Palaszczuk Government’s commitment of $125 million to the new theatre at QPAC represents the largest investment in Queensland arts infrastructure since the Gallery of Modern Art,” she said.

“The new theatre will further boost our state’s cultural vibrancy, help Queensland attract bigger shows, more visitors, and showcase our unique local arts sector.

“This project is expected to support more than 100 jobs during design and construction and once built, QPAC will become Australia’s largest performing arts centre.

“Since January 2015, more than 181,000 jobs have been created in Queensland and we’re keen to see that number grow even more.”

Deputy Premier and Member for South Brisbane Jackie Trad said QPAC was the busiest theatre complex in Australia and the new theatre would be a great outcome for artists, the tourism industry and her local community.

“It will also be a wonderful addition to our internationally-recognised Queensland Cultural Centre, which already attracts millions of visitors every year,” she said.

“The new theatre, right in the heart of South Brisbane, will mean QPAC will become Australia’s largest performing arts centre, and will have the potential to host an extra 300,000 visitors each year when fully operational.”

Arts Minister Leeanne Enoch said the invitation for Expressions of Interest was the first stage in securing a managing contractor that would maximise opportunities for local businesses, create local jobs and deliver industry innovation.

“The managing contractor will develop and manage the construction of the new theatre in consultation with the design consultants,” Ms Enoch said.

“A shortlist of five design firms was announced earlier this year and they are currently developing concept designs for the new 1500-seat theatre, before the final successful applicant is announced later this year.

Also:  Attorney-General lodges appeal

“The new theatre is a significant infrastructure project for Queensland that will leave a lasting mark on the State’s arts and cultural landscape.”

Minister for Housing and Public Works Mick de Brenni said delivery of the new theatre was being managed by Housing and Public Works on behalf of QPAC and Arts Queensland.

“EOI submissions for the managing contractor will be rigorously assessed against evaluation criteria including relevant experience, capability and capacity, local benefits and best practice principles to develop a shortlist for the next stage tender process,” he said.

“We want to ensure we build a state-of-the-art theatre that provides the best audience experience, meets various requirements of artists, companies and performance works, while also maximising local benefits for Queenslanders.”

The announcement of the successful managing contractor and principal design consultant for the theatre is expected later this year.

To submit an EOI for the new theatre go to the QTenders website at https://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/qtenders/from 10am today (Saturday). The EOI closes at 2pm 8 April.

/Public Release. View in full here.