Voting for Australia’s National Fish and Chips Awards starts tomorrow 1 August 2018.
It does not batter if your favourite is grilled Barramundi from the north, beer battered Flake from down south or Snapper crumbed in the west. There is a fish for all occasions.
“Eating fish and chips is something that most Australians can relate to,” said Peter Horvat the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation’s General Manager of Communications, Trade and Marketing.
“The Fish and Chips Awards are about encouraging everyone to have their say and vote and to make sure consumers get the right information when buying,” said Peter Horvat.
The 2017 awards were very successful last year. This year there are again two categories of Award – State and Territory People’s Choice and Judged Fish and Chips.
DATES FOR THE AWARDS
- Voting will begin 1 August 2018 across Australia and will run for six weeks.
- Voting ends 15 September 2018. Winners announced in October 2018.
VOTING CRITERIA – NATIONAL AUSTRALIAN FISH AND CHIPS AWARD
Voting focuses on five criteria. Consumers should use these to rate their fish and chips shop. The criteria is designed to reinforce the need for great tasting seafood, good service, and to highlight the importance and value of choice, labelling and information.
- Taste 40%: Does the seafood taste good? Cooking method is key here – using the right approach for the right fish and doing it well to make your seafood sing.
- Service 30%: Does the service meet customer expectations? Everything from the welcome to the goodbye is important.
- Choice 10%: Does the menu offer customers options? Different types of fish or seafood; local or imported; cooking methods [grilled, fried, etc.]; and preparations battered, crumbed or natural.
- Information 10%: Are customers provided with accurate information about the source and qualities of the seafood? The menu must comply with the Australian Fish Names Standard [fishnames.com.au] and accurately label the seafood’s provenance to a national level, or better.
- Presentation 10%: Is the store clean and inviting? Is the food packaged to maintain quality?
Make sure you vote for your favourite by visiting www.fishandchipsawards.com.au
Get more information on the awards at www.fishandchipsawards.com.au or follow the results on the Australian Fish and Chips Awards Facebook site www.facebook.com/catchoftheyear.
Peter Horvat – firstname.lastname@example.org; 02 6285 0414 or 0415 933 557