The Victorian Government is providing thermometers to accommodation operators to enable on-site temperature testing over the school holidays to assist in slowing the spread of coronavirus. This program, announced on 26 June, is available to East Gippsland.
East Gippsland Shire Council is distributing the infrared thermometers on behalf of the Government. Thermometers are available for collection from 1pm on Thursday 2 July.
Information for tourist accommodation operators
Victorian Government media release – temperature checks 26 June 2020
What you need to do if you are an accommodation operator that holds a Council-issued health licence (6 or more guests):
- Visit, in person, your nearest Council Customer Service Centre (see below) during business hours to collect your thermometer. It is important to collect from the Customer Service Centre as outlined below as there are limited numbers of thermometers at each site.
- Please adhere to social distancing guidelines and hygiene practices.
- On collection, you will be requested to provide the following details: Your name, contact number, and business name and address.
- The thermometers include an operating manual and an information sheet will also be provided.
- Only one thermometer per business, regardless of size
- Accommodation providers with communal facilities and with an expected increase in school holiday visitation, including caravan parks, will be given priority access to thermometers.
- Accommodation providers are welcome to keep the thermometers provided.
Council’s Customer Service Centre locations, open 8.30am-5pm weekdays (unless otherwise stated):
Bairnsdale: Corporate Centre, 273 Main Street
If your business is in the Bairnsdale, Johnsonville, Nicholson, Lindenow, Bruthen or Buchan districts.
Lakes Entrance: 18 Mechanics Street
If your business is in the Lakes Entrance district, Metung, Swan Reach or Nowa Nowa.
Mallacoota: 70 Maurice Avenue (2-5pm Thursday and Friday)
If your business is in the Mallacoota district.
Omeo: 79 Day Avenue
If your business is in the Omeo Region.
Orbost: 1 Ruskin Street
If your business is in the Orbost, Marlo, Bemm River and Cann River districts.
Paynesville: 55 The Esplanade
If your business is in Paynesville, Eagle Point or Raymond Island.
If your town is not listed, or you are unsure on where to collect from, please call 5153 9500.
The Victorian Chief Health Officer has advised Victorians that they may travel within the state these school holidays, as long as they are healthy. Anyone presenting with symptoms of coronavirus, even if they are mild, must stay home and get tested.
Accommodation providers are encouraged to contact their guests 24 hours before arrival to ask them to complete a self-assessment for coronavirus symptoms before they depart. An interactive self-assessment is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website.
As all Victorians with symptoms are being asked to stay home, accommodation providers may ask guests displaying symptoms on arrival to return to their home, if possible.