Too soon to scrap fireworks in major blow to CBD

Business Sydney

Business Sydney says the decision by the City of Sydney to cancel the family-friendly 9pm New Year’s fireworks is a major blow to the economic recovery of the city’s CBD and should be reconsidered with vaccination rates expected to be over 80% by December 31.

“New Year’s Eve is 102 days away and with the current vaccination rate progressing so well, it seems unnecessary to cancel them now, as businesses in the city were relying on the iconic event to boost recovery after months of lockdown,” said Paul Nicolaou, Executive Director of Business Sydney.

“The NSW government has been relying on the health advice to guide Sydney’s reopening in a few weeks and for the council to cancel the popular 9pm fireworks now is premature.”

“The consequences of this decision will be devastating for hundreds of businesses around the Rocks, Circular Quay and Darling Harbour who were looking forward to recouping some of their huge economic losses throughout this long lockdown.”

“Last year we were able to watch the midnight fireworks in groups at restaurants and homes and there should be a Covid safe way to hold the 9pm show this year as it would be a great boost to Sydneysiders’ spirits and show the world we are open for business again.”

“Sydney’s CBD is the engine room of the state’s economy and we need to get it up to steam again as soon as possible, after the community has responded rapidly by getting vaccinated to limit the spread of the dangerous Delta variant.”

“I have written to Lord Mayor Clover Moore requesting council reconsider its decision and wait until the reopening begins and monitor the situation before making a final decision in November,” Mr Nicolaou said.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization/author(s)and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.