Two injured after gas bottle exploded in car in Fairfield

Two people have been injured after a gas bottle exploded in a car at Fairfield, NSW Police say.

Emergency services were called to a car park on Anzac Parade just after 5.30pm today, where a car was found alight.

It’s believed a gas bottle, which was in the boot, exploded after the driver lit a cigarette.

A 15-year-old boy, who was walking past the car at the time, suffered critical injuries and was taken to Liverpool Hospital where he was placed in an induced coma.

The driver of the vehicle attended Liverpool Hospital a short time later where he is being treated for serious burns. His age isn’t known.

Officers from Fairfield Local Area Command have established a crime scene and are investigating the incident.

Inquiries are continuing.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stopers.