- Million Paws Walk: Walk this May is a virtual take on the charity’s much-loved annual dog walk, which could not be held as a physical event this year due to COVID-19.
- Instead, dog owners are challenged to responsibly exercise their pooch for 30 minutes a day in May to fundraise for mistreated, abandoned and abused animals.
- And there are two PAW-some reasons to get on board and Walk This May:
- Major National Sponsor Hill’s Pet Nutrition will help kick off Million Paws Walk: Walk this May by matching every donation made on Friday 1 May dollar-for-dollar.
- The fun continues throughout May with the online Vetwest Pet Parade, where you can show off your precious pooch (or other pets) to win great prizes.
A crowd favourite at previous Million Paws Walk events, this year the Vetwest Pet Parade will be held on social media, on the Million Paws Walk: Walk This May WA Facebook group.
The amazing pet-friendly prizes up for grabs include a 12-month Vetwest wellness plan (valued at $790), a personalised doggy bed, and a professional pet photoshoot.
The Vetwest Pet Parade categories are:
- Best Smile
- Look-a-Like (for pets who look most like their owner)
- Cutest Dog
- Best Trick
A different category will be open each week during May, and pet owners enter by posting a photo or video in the comments. More info on RSPCA WA’s Facebook Page. Winners will be chosen by members of the public in a weekly Facebook Poll.
To sign up for free to Million Paws Walk: Walk This May, visit www.millionpawswalk.com.au
As stated by RSPCA WA Head of Fundraising Ken Doran:
“Everyone loves sharing photos and videos of their pets – and in a time when our news feeds are overrun with COVID-19, cute animal snaps can be a welcome and heart-warming distraction.
“We can’t wait to see your pets strutting their stuff in the online Vetwest Pet Parade, and hope as many owners as possible will sign up for free to Walk This May and raise vital funds to fight animal cruelty.
“During this time of social distancing and self-isolation, our pets still need to be exercised and entertained.
“Having to cancel the Million Paws Walk event – which is our biggest fundraising event of the year – will have a significant impact on the income RSPCA WA relies on to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome some of the State’s most vulnerable animals.
“In these tough times, our Inspectors remain on the roads investigating reports of animal cruelty, and our vets are still providing lifesaving medical care to abandoned, abused and neglected animals.
“Your support for Walk This May can really be life-changing for these animals who have nowhere else to turn, and make sure they continue to get the care they need.
“If you sign up to fundraise by this Friday, your impact for animals could be doubled by Hill’s Pet Nutrition – who are matching donations made on that one day only.”
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition is the National Nutrition Sponsor of the RSPCA and the Million Paws Walk. They will dollar-match the first $100,000 donations made nationally on 1 May.