- $15 million trial to improve home security for senior citizens
- Trial to take place in Townsville, Mount Isa and Cairns LGAs
- Eligible seniors with immediate home security requirements will be prioritised
The Palaszczuk Government is improving home security for seniors as part of a new $15 million trial in the Townsville, Mount Isa and Cairns local government areas (LGA).
The initiative will provide households with home security improvements, such as strong window locks and shutters, CCTV and enhanced design features to prevent unauthorised access.
Eligibility criteria are similar to the existing Home Assist Secure (HAS) program. Older homeowners who are aged 60 years or over with a current Pensioner Concession Card, who are unable to afford the work themselves and unable to receive similar assistance through other government programs may be eligible.
HAS providers in the trial locations will receive referrals from SSQ. They will determine eligibility and conduct home visits to determine the scope of works to be undertaken, in collaboration with the homeowner.
Households with immediate home security requirements will be prioritised and assistance of up to a maximum of $10,000 (GST exclusive) per household will be available.
Quotes attributable to the Minister for Communities and Housing:
“Everyone should feel safe and secure in their home.”
“We are committed to supporting Queensland’s seniors to live safely and independently in their own homes when that is the best option for them.
“This trial will give eligible senior residents in Townsville, Mount Isa and Cairns the opportunity to improve security features and have greater peace of mind at home.
“It a wonderful and practical way the Queensland Government is supporting seniors.
“Seniors contribute so much to their local communities and it’s important that they feel safe and supported.
“I encourage eligible seniors who need security upgrades on their houses to apply for assistance under this program.”
Explainer/fast fact and or further information:
- Trial is taking place in the local government areas in Townsville, Mount Isa and Cairns.
- Eligible customers must be homeowners living in Townsville, Mount Isa and Cairns local government areas, aged 60 or over, a current Pensioner Concession Card holder, unable to afford the works themselves, and unable to receive similar assistance through government programs.