The highly anticipated upgrade of Walan Street to four traffic lanes will soon move into the construction stage, following Sunshine Coast Council awarding the construction contract to Hall Contracting, a locally owned and operated business.
Walan Street is part of the multi-stage Mooloolaba Transport Corridor Upgrade of Brisbane Road, and is between Venning Street and Smith Street.
This stage of the upgrade is expected to start in February 2020 and be completed in late 2020.
Division 4 Councillor John Connolly said the growing Sunshine Coast population and rising tourism figures highlighted the need to improve traffic flow and connectivity in the heart of Mooloolaba.
“This Walan Street upgrade is expected to improve the capability from 13,000 vehicles per day to accommodate the forecast volume of around 20,000 vehicles per day,” Cr Connolly said.
“Motorists will also benefit from better connectivity to and from the future 8-storey multi-deck car park via Smith Street, Naroo Court and Walan Street.
“This important project will also enhance the southern entrance into Mooloolaba and create a corridor that is integrated and inviting for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and public transport users.
“The Walan Street upgrade investment is estimated to be $7.5 million, to be confirmed pending the detailed design’s completion.”
Project stages and scheduled timeframes are subject to weather, site conditions, council’s budget process and other funding sources.
The Mooloolaba Transport Corridor Upgrade widening of Brisbane Road and Walan Street, is a multi-stage upgrade project.
- Stage 1a (completed in October 2019) $2 million extension of Naroo Court through to Muraban Street including a new roundabout.
- Stage 1b (February 2020 – late 2020) $7.5 million Walan Street upgrade between Venning Street and Smith Street to four traffic lanes.
- Stage 2 (2021 – 2022) Brisbane Road from 42 Brisbane Road through to Kyamba Court including the new Mayes Canal Bridge.
- Stage 3 (2022 – 2023) Intersection of Brisbane Road/Walan Street/Hancock Street.
- Stage 4 (2023) Brisbane Road from near Bindaree Crescent to Culbara Street including Tuckers Creek Bridge.
All stages and scheduled timeframes may change subject to weather, site conditions, council’s budget process and other funding.