Allens continues its market leading position in M&A, having topped the Refinitiv and Mergermarket M&A league tables for 2021.
Allens advised on transactions across the region valued at approximately $250 billion1 and the majority of the top 10 largest public M&A deals announced in Australia in 2021.
The firm’s rankings included:
- First for deal value in Asia Pacific (ex Japan) (Mergermarket)
- First for deal value in Australasia (Mergermarket)
- First for the value of deals completed in Australian and New Zealand (Refinitiv)
‘We are grateful to have worked with our clients on their most complex and significant transactions in 2021 and for this to be reflected in our market share,’ said Head of Corporate Tom Story.
Head of Public M&A Guy Alexander added, ‘In addition to acting on a number of high value transactions in 2021, Allens advised on more than double the number of transactions compared with 2020, demonstrating the highly active M&A market in Australia over the past 12 months.’
Allens advised on a number of noteworthy deals in the year, including:
- $32 billion proposed acquisition of Sydney Airports by IFM led consortium
- $22 billion Oil Search and Santos merger
- $11.1 billion sale of NSW Government’s 49% stake in WestConnex to Transurban consortium
- $10.2 billion proposed acquisition of AusNet by Brookfield
- $8.9 billion takeover offer for Boral by Seven Group
- $5.2 billion acquisition of Spark Infrastructure by KKR, OTPP and PSP Investments
- $3.5 billion acquisition of Vocus Group by Macquarie consortium
- $2.8 billion investment in InfraCo Towers by Morrison & Co and the consortium led by the Future Fund Board of Guardians
- $2.35 billion sale of One Rail to Aurizon by Macquarie Asset Management
- $1.9 billion investment in Optus Towers by AustralianSuper
- $1.7 billion acquisition of ALE by Charter Hall
- Mergermarket Asia Pacific Advisory League tables, $USD178,437,000,000
Notes for editors.
Allens is a commercial law firm working throughout Australia and Asia. Through its integrated alliance with Linklaters it provides clients access to 40 offices in 28 countries around the world.