Australia’s top-ranked men’s tennis player Alex de Minaur has signed up to play in the inaugural $2 million Adelaide International at Memorial Drive in January.
De Minaur joins women’s world No.1 Ash Barty in committing to the brand new tournament.
Minister for Recreation, Sport and Racing Corey Wingard said it is a massive coup for South Australia.
“I am thrilled that Alex de Minaur is heading here for the Adelaide International,” Minister Wingard said.
“This is a huge boost for tennis in South Australia and the state’s sporting sector as a whole.
“The calibre of players we’re attracting to Adelaide wouldn’t have been possible without the Marshall Government’s $10 million investment in the redevelopment of Memorial Drive.
“We anticipate a big turn out to the event and that will in turn inject significant money back into the South Australian economy, somewhere in the order of around $6 million dollars and potentially more.
“To have players like de Minaur gracing our courts right here in Adelaide is exciting and as I’ve said previously, I’m proud to be part of a government which has prioritised and invested in tennis,” the Minister said.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, David Ridgway said this is a wonderful announcement for South Australia and will no doubt add a further boost to our state’s record $7.6 billion visitor economy.
“Having secured both Australian men and women’s No.1 players, the tournament is guaranteed to attract tennis fans from interstate and internationally.”
Along with de Minaur and Barty, the likes of world No.5 Simona Halep and Canadian star Felix Auger Aliassime have also signed up for the tournament.
The week-long WTA and ATP combined tournament will take place at Memorial Drive from Sunday 12 January to Saturday 18 January 2020.
The Adelaide International forms part of Tennis Australia’s Summer of Tennis event calendar.
It will be the first event held under the new Memorial Drive Tennis Centre roof, due for completion in mid-December.