Shoalhaven City Council, together with the Nowra Domestic Violence Committee held a White Ribbon morning tea at the Nowra School of Arts today to raise awareness of domestic violence issues and support available in the Shoalhaven community.
Attendees heard from local guest presenters and were advised of the local support services available to the Shoalhaven community. In addition to hearing from the speakers, the Nowra Domestic Violence Committee announced the winners of their ‘Say it in Pictures’ Art and Design 2019 competition, which were displayed at the event.
Mayor Amanda Findley was impressed with the thought and meaning behind each piece by the young entrants. “The competition encourages children and youth to create pieces of art which help them to develop an awareness of respectful relationships and boundaries.” Mayor Findley said.
“This is vital in helping our vulnerable members of society to recognise and understand when behavior and relationships are inappropriate and potentially dangerous.
“The competition, which is supported by Council’s Youth Week program, is a great way to promote the important conversation around domestic violence and the many various forms and faces it can come in. The effect domestic violence has on victims is heartbreaking, and can impact a person’s health, relationships, employment, financial and social wellbeing – all facets of their life.
Local organisations such as Supported Accommodation & Homelessness Services Shoalhaven Illawarra (SAHSSI) are a lifeline to victims of domestic violence. They do incredible work,and need support from the community to be able to continue that work.” Clr Findley said.
Shoalhaven City Council is running a food drive from the 22nd November until the 13th December and is requesting donations of non-perishable food items to be dropped off at participating Council facilities across the Shoalhaven with all proceeds going to SAHSSI.
You can donate your non-perishable food donations to the following Council-run facilities:
· Bomaderry Aquatic Centre, 127 Cambewarra Rd, Bomaderry NSW 2541
· Shoalhaven Indoor Sports Centre, 90 Cambewarra Road, Bomaderry NSW 2541
· Family Day Care, 4/80 Park Rd, Nowra
· Nowra Library, 10 Berry Street, Nowra
· Nowra Admin Building, Bridge Rd, Nowra
· Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre, Bridge Rd, Nowra
· Shoalhaven Art Gallery, Berry St, Nowra
Bay and Basin
· Bay and Basin Leisure Centre, The Wool Rd, Vincentia NSW 2540
· Sanctuary Point Library, Paradise Beach Road, Sanctuary Point
· Sussex Inlet Aquatic Centre, 21 Thomson St, Sussex Inlet NSW 2540
· Ulladulla Leisure Centre, 139 Warden St, Ulladulla NSW 2539
· Ulladulla Civic Centre & Library, Princes Highway, Ulladulla
· Ulladulla Admin Centre, Deering St, Ulladulla
If you or someone you know is experiencing violence, call the Domestic Violence Line on 1800 65 64 63 for advice or support for women. For men seeking support with health and relationships, call MensLine Australia on 1300 78 99 78. In an emergency, call the police on 000. All incidents of violence should be reported to the police.