Moira Shire Council has developed a draft Arts and Culture Strategy 2020-26 and we would like to hear your thoughts on the future of arts and culture across the shire.
Mayor Libro Mustica said the draft strategy proposes council funding be used to develop up to four creative hubs strategically located across the shire.
Our shire celebrates cultural heritage and the growth of local creative talent in the form of visual artists, musicians, dancers, performers and creative arts groups, Cr Mustica said.
The provision for the development of creative hubs recognises the wide geographical area of Moira Shire and the subsequent need for a localised approach to the delivery of artistic and cultural programs.
External consultation has taken place through a facilitated community workshop with major stakeholders and creative community members.
Additionally, a survey, a cultural mapping exercise, as well as targeted community engagement and consultation have been conducted in the development of this strategy.
Preparation of the draft Arts and Culture Strategy 2020-26 has been informed by research conducted at state and federal levels and the discussion of issues with the Cultural Development Network, Regional Arts Victoria, MAV Arts Advisory Committee, and the Yorta Yorta Nation, Cr Mustica said.
There are five principles within the strategy, namely:
Stimulation of creativity;
Generation of new knowledge and insight;
Appreciation of cultural diversity; and
Strengthening connections to shared heritage.
Actions to achieve these five principles include –
· Work with artists and cultural organisations to support educational opportunities and quality activities to provide connections with shared cultural heritage that also increase creativity and celebrate diversity;
· Promote ongoing development of a vibrant arts sector which will provide opportunities, activities and events that meet the respective needs of, and forge connections between, our artistic and broader communities;
· Partner with our First Nations people to identify and support
opportunities to promote and develop artistic and cultural
expression and industry;
· Provide the mechanisms to ensure the economic benefit of
cultural and artistic activity across the shire is maximised;and
· Promote the intrinsic value of artistic and cultural endeavour through implementation of appropriate mechanisms to fund, evaluate and develop creative industries across the shire.
Copies of our draft Arts and Culture Strategy 2020-26 available on request or online; visit our website to leave your feedback, Cr Mustica said.