AS/NZS3012:2019 Electrical installations – Construction and demolition sites was published on 4 November 2019. The new edition contains several changes from the 2010 edition including:
- updated requirements to reflect changes to AS/NZS3000
- a reference to AS/NZS61439.4 for switchboard compliance for Assemblies for Construction Sites
- additional figures and references to AS/NZS3010:2017 for connection of generators
- new requirements to prevent unauthorised disconnection of emergency lighting with detachable connections
- Clause 3.3 has been deleted and reference to personnel requirements to be a qualified person or a competent person have been included
- inspection tags for compliant equipment to include the name of the person (and the company if applicable), and the test and re-test date.
A six-month transition period will apply until 4 May 2020 to allow electrical contractors and workers time to gain an understanding of the new requirements. Construction wiring installed after this date will need to comply, with enforcement action such as notices or fines, being issued for non-compliance.
AS/NZS 3012:2010 will continue to apply in the following circumstances:
- Construction wiring installed prior to but remaining in use beyond the publication date of the new standard.
- Construction wiring included in work quoted for prior to the publication date of the new standard that has been awarded a contract.
However, during the transition period we encourage electrical contractors and workers to comply with the 2019 edition wherever possible.