Ballarat is living up to its events strategy vision of becoming a compelling destination for word class events.
From AFL football to national soccer and basketball, the elite sporting and entertainment events just keep coming (to Ballarat).
Negotiations are currently being held for Ballarat to stage an International Super Rugby match and Western United Football Club, a new A-league team for the west of Victoria, will play 4 home matches in Ballarat later this season.
Other significant events confirmed on Ballarat’s sporting events calendar include: National Under 15 boys Cricket Championships, WBBL Stars V Renegades Nov 23 at Eastern Oval; National Women’s Basketball; RoadNats Championship, National Polocrosse event at the Ballarat Airport; State Rowing Championships 2020 on Lake Wendouree and Nitro Circus – Mars Stadium 2020.
This is in addition to the top-selling Nitro event in February 2020 that will showcase the versatility of Ballarat’s Mars Stadium, when it hosts athletes at the top of their fields in a thrilling display of BMX, FMX, Skate and Scooter.
Council has invested strategically in improving key sporting venues and grounds in recent years to be in a position to secure national sporting and sporting entertainment events, ensure maximum utilisation of its assets and to provide a balanced sporting event mix to appeal to all audiences.
Council’s 10-year Event Strategy has confirmed the social and economic benefits of hosting major sporting events to our City which include:
- Increased promotion of active lifestyles
- Promoting high performance sporting opportunities
- Activating major stadiums – Mars Stadium, B.SEC Regional Soccer facility and Ballarat Aquatic and Lifestyle Centre
- Promotion of women in sport – Ballarat’s Active Women and Girls Strategy
- Profiling Ballarat to national and international audiences
- Providing pride and inspiration through access to the best of the best
- Infrastructure upgrades to ageing sporting facilities
All major events; sporting, cultural and tourism contribute to the brand profile of Ballarat and contribute to Ballarat as being a highly desirable location to visit.
Top of Form