Bendigo man to pay over $1000 for working unlicensed

A Bendigo man has been ordered by the Bendigo Magistrate’s Court to pay more than $1000 after performing plumbing and building work without a licence or registration.

As part of an adjourned undertaking to the court, Peter Wyatt, operating under business name Bendigo Home Maintenance, has been required to pay $1300, including legal costs, and to be of good behaviour for 24 months.

Mr Wyatt entered guilty pleas to two charges relating to unregistered building and plumbing works carried out premises in California Gully, a suburb of Bendigo, in 2018, which resulted in water leaks and damage.

The Victorian Building Authority’s (VBA) Executive Director of Operations, Lynda McAlary-Smith, said Mr Barnes’ actions caused distress to his victims and damaged the reputation of licensed builders and plumbers who do the right thing.

“This is a reminder to consumers to make sure the plumbing or building practitioner you are engaging is licensed or registered, otherwise the results could be disastrous,” Ms McAlary-Smith said.

“The damage caused to this Bendigo family’s home was the result of hiring someone who wasn’t properly trained or qualified, and it is actions like this that erode community trust in the industry.”

Mr Wyatt and his now deregistered business ‘Bendigo Home Maintenance’ was hired to demolish the back of a storm damaged house, remove and replace a large window and replace a downpipe, guttering, drain, architraves, skirtings, skylights and roof sheeting.

A month later he was then asked to install guttering and roofing, for a combined total of $16,300.

In November of that year, a downpour of rain caused the guttering to overflow guttering and water to leak down the inside of the wall of the rear porch and inside a cavity wall.

Another storm six or so months later caused further damage to the property.

As a result of the work, the house developed mould, water damaged plasterboard, and damaged light fittings.

The Court took into consideration Mr Wyatt’s age, his prior good record, the size of the works, and the cost of the damage incurred.

Victorians wanting to engage a builder or plumber can visit to find a licenced or registered practitioner.

The VBA has an online consumer resource portal with information for anyone who is experiencing issues with builders or plumbers.

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.