Today, Michel Audy, a member of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, highlighted the national historic significance of the Sainte Croix de Tadoussac Mission Church. A special plaque unveiling ceremony was held in Tadoussac. The announcement was made on behalf of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, Catherine McKenna.
In 1642, the Jesuits established the Sainte-Croix mission in Tadoussac, a gathering place and hunting ground for Innu families from Nitassinan and for other First Nations. This strategic site became the base of their missionary efforts in New France.
A testimonial to the close relationship between the fur trade and the spread of Christianity by the Jesuits, the Sainte Croix de Tadoussac Mission Church is closely linked to the evangelization of the Innu in the King’s Domain. Built between 1747 and 1750, at a time when Tadoussac was an active centre in the fur trade, the church bears witness to the relationship between the fur trade, the Jesuit missionaries and First Nations. The wooden building is an outstanding example in Canada of the mission churches of New France. It still maintains much of its original character, although it has undergone various changes over time.
The Government of Canada, through the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, recognizes the historic significance of people, places and events that shaped our country as one way of helping Canadians and youth connect with their past. The commemoration process is largely driven by public nominations. To date, more than 2,000 designations have been made.
Parks Canada is committed to working in partnership with Indigenous peoples to recognize, commemorate and share their history. Working together with more than 300 Indigenous communities across Canada, Parks Canada and Indigenous peoples are partners in conserving, restoring, and presenting Canada’s natural and cultural heritage.