The glamour of the Civic Ball is set to return with Council gearing up to stage the event in 2021.
Nominations are now open for the Ball after the historic event was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ball will be held on August 27, with nominations open until 5pm, May 28.
Mayor Darriea Turley AM said she was elated at the prospect of the Ball going ahead this year, and encouraged all young men and ladies wishing to make their debut to nominate early.
“We’d been taking a cautious approach to the Ball after the disappointment of last year, but with COVID-19 restrictions easing we’re confident it can go ahead this year,” said Mayor Turley.
“We do have a tighter timeframe to organise things this year however, so I encourage everyone to get their nomination in quickly and worry about the other details later.”
Mayor Turley said she believed the prospect of a gala evening would be welcomed by young adults and their families.
“Our younger generation have spent significant time in lockdown and cooped up indoors over the past year, so hopefully this event provides an opportunity for them to get out and enjoy themselves,” said Mayor Turley.
“The debutante ball has been an important part of young people’s lives in Broken Hill for over a century, and it was deeply disappointing that it was unable to go ahead last year.”
Debutantes who had been set to make their debut last year will be contacted by Council’s Events Team and given priority entry to this year’s field of debutantes.