A Code Blue extreme winter weather response for people sleeping rough will be activated for metropolitan Adelaide and parts of regional South Australia on Thursday 8 August.
Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said the Code Blue would be activated for tomorrow (8 August) and tomorrow night due to expected heavy rain and strong winds.
During a Code Blue activation, Housing SA, together with its non-government partners, makes additional accommodation available for extended hours for people sleeping rough. Extra services have been provided for the metropolitan area.
Tomorrow’s Code Blue also applies in Mount Gambier, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island, and people sleeping rough in these areas should contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 for assistance.
“The expected conditions will make it difficult for people sleeping rough to stay warm and dry. The Code Blue activation provides extra accommodation and services to assist people who are rough sleeping,” said Minister Lensink.
In the metropolitan area:
• Baptist Care’s Westcare Centre will be open overnight night from 3pm Thursday 8 August through to 7am Friday 9 August. The Westcare Centre is located at 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide.
• Hutt St Centre will extend their operating hours until 5pm on Thursday 8 August.
• Trace A Place (SYC) will extend their operating hours until 7pm on Thursday 8 August.
• Street to Home (Adelaide CBD street service) will have additional staff engaging with people sleeping rough during the Code Blue.
• The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24 hours a day seven days a week. Anyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.
In Mount Gambier, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island, people should contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.
“It is thanks to these services that we are able to keep people sheltered and dry during this extreme weather,” said Minister Lensink.