Consultation Set to Guide Next Stage of Flood Plan

Housing-aerial.jpg

At Tuesday night's meeting, Campaspe Shire Council resolved to seek consent from the Minister for Planning to begin community consultation on proposed flood planning controls for Kyabram and Echuca.

The decision is the next step in a long-running process to implement the findings of the adopted Kyabram Flood Study and Management Plan and Echuca Moama Flood Study into the Campaspe Planning Scheme. Importantly, Council's decision does not introduce or adopt any new flood controls. It seeks approval from the Minister to publicly exhibit the draft planning scheme amendment and invite community feedback.

The proposed amendment implements the findings of two flood studies that previously been adopted by Council. The Kyabram Flood Study and Management Plan, undertaken in partnership with the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority was adopted in October 2021, while the Echuca Moama Flood Study was adopted in March 2024. Both studies involved detailed technical modelling and community input to better understand flood risks, identify vulnerable areas and ensure future planning decisions are based on current and reliable flood information.

Campaspe Shire Mayor, Cr Daniel Mackrell said flood information plays an important role in helping communities prepare for and manage future risks.

"Council has a responsibility to ensure the most up-to-date flood information is available to residents and considered in planning decisions," Cr Mackrell said.

"These two flood studies have already been adopted by Council. The draft planning amendment is about giving the community an opportunity to review the information, ask questions and provide formal feedback through the statutory planning scheme amendment process."

The proposed amendment would not apply retrospectively to existing homes or developments and does not automatically prevent building works or reduce development opportunities. The purpose of updating the planning controls are to ensure flood risk is considered early in the planning process and that landowners, developers and future purchasers have access to accurate information about flood hazards.

The mayor noted there had been discussion on social media regarding the draft maps; however, encourages residents to review the full proposal and statutory process before drawing conclusions.

"The draft amendment remains subject to public consultation, independent review and ultimately a decision by the Minister for Planning," he said.

"If the Minister grants consent, every affected property owner will be notified directly and provided with opportunities to speak with technical experts, attend information sessions and make formal submissions."

The proposed amendment follows a State Government-led process used across Victoria to implement completed flood studies into planning schemes. Any submissions received during exhibition will be considered by Council and an independent advisory committee before the Minister makes a final decision.

Residents are encouraged to access information through official Council channels, including the Council meeting agenda and Council's website, to ensure they are receiving complete and accurate information about the proposed amendment. Detailed information about the draft amendment and consultation opportunities will be provided if Ministerial consent is received.

Subscribe to updates via Council's website via www.campaspe.vic.gov.au/floodamendment

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.