In Victoria, general council elections are held every four years. The Victorian Electoral Commission manages the elections.
The next general council election will be held on Saturday 24 October 2020 via postal ballot. Ballot papers will be distributed from 6-8 October to enrolled persons.
Voting in council elections is compulsory. To enrol to vote or to update your enrolment details visit the Victorian Electoral Commission website.
Candidate Information Session
Eligibility requirements for local government election candidates have changed.
This year, for the first time, local government candidates are required to complete mandatory training to be eligible to nominate.
The Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) will run an online community and candidate information session for Benalla Rural City on Thursday 3 September via Zoom.
Date: Thursday 3 September 2020
Time: 6pm to 8pm
Location: This is an online session run via Zoom.Register using the link below.
The Stand for Council Community and Candidate Information session will provide prospective candidates with information about:
- The role and purpose of local government
- The new Local Government Act 2020
- Introduction to your council and information on the municipal area
- Roles, responsibilities and expectations of a councillor
- The experience of being a councillor
- The electoral process and campaigning including key dates and information provided by the Victorian Electoral Commission.