Council will pursue a freehold lease over parts of Griffith Park allowing it to proceed with a masterplan to improve facilities and boost usage.
The masterplan, adopted by Council in April 2017, provides a coordinated approach to the development of the site to create:
- a premier cricket facility
- a nationally significant basketball stadium
- high-quality, covered synthetic bowling green
- full-size multi-purpose cricket and AFL oval
- a destination playground for Manunda
- sufficient off-street car parking for most activities at the park
- a social hub in the middle of the precinct through the centrally-located licensed bowls club
The 30-year lease covers the existing cricket field off Gatton Street, which will then be sublet back to the Cairns Cricket Association for use as both a cricket pitch and AFL field.