The City of Launceston is actively monitoring the outbreak of coronavirus disease, or COVID-19, and is liaising with health authorities on our response.
The health and safety of our community and our employees are our highest priorities.
The Council will update this page with important community information or any changes to our services and facilities should they arise.
There is easy to understand and factual information on COVID-19 available at:
The State Government’s Department of Health website.
The Federal Government’s Department of Health website.
What is the City of Launceston doing?
State and Federal health authorities are the lead agencies in developing and implementing Australia’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, in line with the Australian Health Sector Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus.
The City of Launceston is undertaking the following actions:
● The Council is displaying and promoting relevant public health and safety information at its sites and facilities.
● The Council is reiterating the importance of hand washing and good hygiene practices to staff.
● The Council is putting systems in place to allow working from home arrangements, and exploring entitlements for Council employees who may need to take time away from work.
● While at this stage there are no directives from the State’s Department of Health regarding COVID-19 and its specific impacts on public gatherings in Tasmania, the City of Launceston may refund or defer any payments for venue hire if an event organiser chooses to defer or cancel an event at a Council-managed facility.
● The Council is maintaining high cleansing standards at its public facilities and workplaces.
● The Council is regularly liaising with health authorities on the pandemic.
The Tasmanian Government’s Department of Health is preparing for further cases of COVID-19 in Tasmania, and healthcare workers are on high alert for potential cases.