As part of the national effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, the Federal Government has placed further restrictions on gatherings of greater than 100 people which are no longer permitted as from today. In adhering to this further changes are required to Council’s services to slow the spread of COVID-19 while attempting to maintain a level of business continuity.
Based on this direction, Greater Shepparton City Council has made the decision to close several facilities until the end of April 2020.
Council places the highest priority on the health and wellbeing of the community and its staff at all times, and despite some closures, critical services will continue to be provided particularly for the most vulnerable members of our community.
As of close of business on Thursday 18 March 2020 the following arrangements will be in place:
- Shepparton Sports Stadium
- Tatura Park Exhibition and Events Complex
- Eastbank and Westside Performances (please note: the Ticket Box Office and Eastbank Café remain open)
- Senior Citizens facilities
- Activities in the Park programs
- Planned Activity Groups for the elderly
- Council events involving 100 participants or more
- SAM –open for exhibition but programs and workshops cancelled
- Shepparton Business Centre – open but no workshops
- Libraries open but all programs cancelled
- McIntosh Centre/Showgrounds – events cancelled as per the gathering number limitations
- Building and Planning – phone appointment only and email
- Meals on Wheels – will continue to be delivered but on three days instead of five. Recipients will still receive five meals, two on Monday, two on Wednesday and one on Friday.
- Customer Service – open but please note preferred service delivery below
- Family Day Care
- Long Day Care centres
- Animal Management
- Transfer Stations
- Maternal and Child Health (MCH)
- Immunisation Services
- Visitor Centre – no bus tours accepted
- Shepparton Saleyards
- Shepparton Caravan Park
- Public Toilets
- Botanic Gardens
- Recycle Shop at Shepparton Resource Recovery Centre
- Neighbourhood Houses
- Council sports fields and facilities – clubs to follow their leagues’ advice and Federal and State Government direction on gathering number restrictions
Whilst there are currently no cases of COVID-19 in Greater Shepparton, Council is reviewing services on a daily basis. Business as usual is not an option and Council is making adjustments on a daily basis as per the advice from the State and Federal governments.
“Council needs to continue to provide support to our vulnerable members of the community so essential services will continue with some changes,” said Greater Shepparton City Council Mayor, Cr Seema Abdullah. “Council is confident that the organisation can respond to this rapidly evolving event, and we will ensure that our community will be kept up-to-date with any changes to our services or further closures of facilities.”
“We are also mindful of looking after our staff. Our operations are dependent on staff being available to deliver services to the community so it is important that we minimise meetings and other unnecessary contact. If you need to pay bills or talk to a council officer about anything we ask you to ring first as many requests can be dealt with over the phone.
“I would also ask that if anyone has elderly or vulnerable neighbours that they check in on them to make sure they are ok and have access to food, medication and other supplies,” said Cr Abdullah. “We also encourage our community to continue to be active and stay connected with others during this period, whether it’s via phone, social media or small get-togethers.”
“Council is working closely with the relevant authorities to ensure that essential operations and services continue. However, this does mean that modifications will need to be made to some services and facilities and this situation may change daily if not hourly,” said Cr Abdullah.
Customer Service remains open; however Council encourages the community to consider alternative contact methods, including:
- Calling 5832 9700 Monday to Friday from 8:15am to 5:00pm