Investigators have released CCTV vision and are appealing for public information, as inquiries continue into three separate armed robberies at businesses across Sydney’s inner and south-west earlier this year.
Detectives from the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad established Strike Force Profert to investigate three alleged armed robberies at businesses in Canterbury, Hurlstone Park and Wiley Park on Sunday 3 January 2021 and Monday 4 January 2021.
The incidents include –
- About 4.40am on Sunday 3 January 2021, three men – armed with knives and a firearm – entered a licenced premise at the intersection of Canterbury Road and Tincomb Street, Canterbury. The men threatened employees and patrons, before stealing cash from a number of poker machines and fleeing the area. Officers from Burwood Police Area Command were contacted and conducted initial inquiries. The employee was not physically injured during the incident.
- About 2.40am on Monday 4 January 2021, a man – armed with a firearm – entered a convenience store at New Canterbury Road at Hurlstone Park. The man threatened an employee before stealing cash and cigarettes and fleeing the area. Officers from Burwood Police Area Command were contacted and conducted initial inquiries. The employee was not physically injured during the incident.
- Just after 7am on Monday 4 January 2021, two men – armed with a knife and a firearm – entered a service station at Punchbowl Road, Wiley Park. The men threatened a 45-year-old male employee, before stealing cash and cigarettes. The men also took the employee’s watch, before returning it, and leaving the area. Officers from Campsie Police Area Command were contacted and conducted initial inquiries. The employee was not physically injured during the incident.
As investigations continue, police have released CCTV vision of the incidents are appealing for anyone with information about the identities of the men depicted to come forward.
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Grant Taylor, said police are urging the community to look closely at the vision to help officers identify those involved.
“These three-armed robberies were brazen, reckless and dangerous offences that terrified several hard-working employees, who were simply doing their jobs,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.
“Initial inquiries suggest the incidents are targeted and linked and a late model silver Holden Commodore was sighted in the vicinity of each location at the time of the offences.
“In an unusual turn of events, during the course of the armed robbery at Wiley Park, one of the offenders stole the employees watch. Following his pleas for the item to be returned, the offender complied.
“The community, together with NSW Police, will not tolerate this level of violence, and as investigations continue, we are urging those responsible to hand themselves in before police come knocking,” Det A/Supt Taylor said.
Investigations under Strike Force Profert are continuing.