The City of Perth has developed alternative ways to build a positive connection with the community and celebrate what makes Perth a vibrant, connected and progressive place to be.
Residents across the state are encouraged to explore and participate in a new platform of meaningful experiences in a welcoming, online community environment entitled Visit Perth Online.
A virtual arts and culture scene in the form of online exhibitions, podcasts, documentaries, story maps, 3D walk-throughs, image galleries, interviews and blogs, Visit Perth Online showcases Perth’s unique cultural identity, providing positive impacts on community wellbeing, stimulating creativity and building a sense of belonging.
Providing a platform for experiences and programs, visitors to Visit Perth Online can experience music playlists, storytelling, workshops, online cultural tours or expansive art and history exhibitions.
They can also hear about good news stories emerging from the not-for-profit sector and local businesses who are doing things differently with the help of quick response grants from the City.
The platform also promotes neighbourhood initiatives such as the City Sessions series delivered by Activate Perth, East Perth Community Group and West Perth Local, empowering community members and residents to get involved in community support.
Chair Commissioner Andrew Hammond said Visit Perth Online was important to support the wellbeing of the Perth community – connecting us all during and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
“During a time of physical distancing, the platform advocates for the importance of social connection and provides resources and tools for our most vulnerable,” Chair Commissioner Andrew Hammond said.
“By celebrating diversity, improving cross-cultural understanding and building community pride, social cohesion and tolerance, the City aims to connect to, express and understand Perth’s cultural identity as well as encourage online participation.”
Creative Director Steven Alyian submitted his exciting idea Enliven – an online music and arts festival, to be included on Visit Perth Online.
“In a time where our creative industries have been devastated, to reunite Perth’s vast array of talented artists, technicians and venues that have made our city’s cultural landscape so unique and world-renowned is a much-needed breath of life,” Steven said.
“It’s time to reinvigorate the creative culture of Perth and remind our audiences and artists of the rich industry they are part of and just how valued they are.
“My team and I are excited to work closely with the City of Perth in the coming weeks to deliver a vibrant, diverse and inclusive online festival, looking positively to the future where we can return to socialising and celebrating the creative culture of our city.”
There will be three stages of content delivery across the City of Perth’s various platforms until July 2020 and into the future as the world rebounds from the effects of COVID-19.
Enliven: City of Perth Online Music Arts Festival
A re-invigoration of the Perth local music and performing arts scene, Enliven delivers high-quality live performances streamed online from beloved venues and locations defining our city’s rich cultural, artistic and musical history. Showcasing iconic Perth artists alongside raw emerging talent, Enliven aims to give love and thanks to this rich diverse industry been heavily affected by COVID-19.
- Children’s craft workshops delivered online through the Freedom Fairies
- Behind-the-scenes look into approximately five Perth artist’s studios and their works through Pip and Pop
- WA Opera’s six-part cooking series in collaboration with notable City of Perth restaurants and hosted by Daniele Foti-Cuzzola, Food and Cultural journalist. From Pasta all Norma to the sweet Peach Melba, there are many iconic culinary delights that were inspired by some of the greatest operatic works and prolific composers
- Frankensound’s ‘If Buildings Could Speak’ – a projection art intervention in Perth. It uses words and shapes projected onto local architecture to imagine the city from a very different perspective
- Colouring sheets for adults and children featuring a beautiful and significant Perth landmark, released weekly from Pixie Paint
- Perth Pop Quizzes from Bamboozled Quizmasters. A series of live streamed quiz nights focused around Perth’s diverse arts and culture scene. The questions will aim to illuminate Perth’s arts and cultural scene, while engaging with the public.