Townsville City Council has issued a call for prospective trainees and apprentices who want to develop their skills and knowledge while helping to build the city.
Council has today launched its 2021 trainee and apprentice intake, with a range of disciplines available across the organisation.
Mayor Jenny Hill said Council’s investment in employment opportunities is more important than ever following the impact of COVID-19 on the region.
“Council is proud to have a trainee and apprentice program that is providing job opportunities and will continue to do so post COVID-19,” Cr Hill said.
“We have a number of disciplines available right across the organisation that will provide the successful applicants with skills they can take with them as they forge their career paths.
“We are committed to playing our part in supporting the community through economic stimulus such as our apprentice and trainee programs.”
Lachlan Lowe, an apprentice currently gaining a dual qualification in Electrotechnology and Instrumentation and Control, said that his time at Council had been fantastic.
“Council has provided me with a really unique and diverse environment to learn in and has given me the chance to complete dual qualifications,” Mr Lowe said.
“Getting an apprenticeship at Council is a great way to learn and earn at the same time and I’m really grateful for the opportunity.
“If I could go back, I would reapply because it’s a really safe and comfortable place to do an apprenticeship.”
The available traineeships and apprenticeships include:
- Certificate III in Business
- Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- Certificate IV in Library and Information Services
- Certificate III in Laboratory Skills
- Certificate III in Conservation and Land Management
- Certificate III in Civil Construction
- Certificate III in Water Industry Treatment
- Certificate III in Parks and Gardens
- Certificate III in Electrotechnology
- Certificate III in Engineering (Fabrication) – Boilermaker
- Certificate III in Engineering (Mechanical) – Fitting & Turning
- Certificate III in Mobile Plant Technology – Diesel Fitting
- Certificate III in Heavy Commercial Vehicle Mechanical Technology