Don’t pick wild mushrooms

People are being warned not to pick wild mushrooms after a number of serious poisonings in Victoria.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said recent wet weather has caused mushrooms to sprout on nature strips, laneways, gardens and reserves but without expert knowledge, people are putting their health at risk by foraging the fungi to cook. In particular poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms can cause serious illness, even death, so unless you are an expert, do not pick and eat wild mushrooms.

Recently poisonous mushrooms have been identified in Clayton, Hampton Park and Glen Iris.

Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable sources are safe to eat.

Dog owners should take particular care when walking their pet in areas where mushrooms may grow. Where possible remove any mushrooms (wearing gloves while you do so) from your yard before your pet has a chance to eat them.

If your pet has ingested a wild mushroom, you can call the Animal Poisons Centre on 1300 869 738 for advice.

Seek medical advice immediately from the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 if you’ve eaten a wild mushroom

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.