Drivers urged to take care as long-weekend traffic peaks, NSW

Three people have lost their lives in separate crashes and a man has been charged after a stolen car crashed into a house and caught fire in Sydney’s south-west as Operation Stay Alert comes to an end this Queen’s Birthday long weekend, NSW Police say.

Operation Stay Alert began on Friday 8 June 2018 at 12.01am and ends at 11.59pm on Monday 11 June 2018, with double demerits applying throughout the four-day operation.

Just after 12.40am today (Monday 11 June 2018), emergency services were called to Carnavon Crescent, Georges Hall, following reports a car had crashed into the bottom level of a two-storey home.

A 21-year-old man – who was held by neighbours until officers arrived – has been charged with four traffic offences.

He is due to appear at Bankstown Local Court next month.

About 6.40am (Monday 11 June 2018), emergency services were called to Polding Street at Fairfield, after reports a bus – with no passengers – and vehicle collided.

The driver of the vehicle, a 32-year-old man, died at the scene.

Emergency services were called Wee Jasper Road at Bombowlee, about 8km from Tumut, just after 7.30am on Sunday 10 June 2018, after reports a vehicle had left the road and hit an embankment.

Read more:  AMWU Statement on the Trans Pacific Partnership

The driver, a 17-year-old boy, was uninjured but the passenger, a 40-year-old man, was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene.

The teen was issued a Future Court Attendance Notice and is due to appear at a Children’s Court next month.

About 4pm on Friday 8 June 2018, an Isuzu D-Max utility and a Toyota Echo were both travelling west on New Illawarra Road when they crashed.

Police will allege due to the impact of the crash, the Echo was forced into on-coming traffic and collided with a Mitsubishi Lancer. The Lancer, a Toyota Camry and a Honda CRV then collided.

A 66-year-old man, from Revesby, driving the Echo suffered critical injuries and died at the scene.

About 10pm on Sunday (10 June 2018), police received reports three vehicles were involved in a crash attempting to avoid a sedan stopped – with no lights on – in the middle lane on the M4 at Erskine Park.

Officers spoke to the driver, a 43-year-old man, and will allege he threw a bag, containing cannabis, into nearby bushes.

Read more:  Airservices delivering safety and innovation to Australian aviation industry

He was arrested and taken to Nepean Hospital for mandatory testing before being taken to Penrith Police Station where he was charged with several offences.

Police checks revealed the man’s licence expired in 2014. The Blacktown man is due to appear at Penrith Local Court at a later date.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said so far during Operation Stay Alert, police have conducted more than 129,000 breath tests and issued 6598 traffic infringements.

“It goes without saying that police are out in force on our roads and take this very seriously,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“This is the final day of the operation and I urge drivers to pay full attention to the road rules when returning from your long-weekend holidays, especially as there have been poor weather conditions.”

“Speeding kills and the risks are multiplied when there are wet conditions on our roads.

“Take care behind the wheel to ensure you and your family get home safely,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.