Emergency doctors from across Australia, Aotearoa New Zealand and the world will come together from 24 to 27 November for the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine’s first ever virtual Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM).
Held amid the ongoing global response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the theme of this year’s event is No Going Back – An Opportunity to Redefine the Role of Emergency Medicine.
In the context of seismic shifts in the way Emergency Medicine and our acute healthcare systems operate and are viewed as a result of the pandemic, the conference theme will examine opportunities to re-think, redesign and secure lasting improvements for our workforce, and the communities we serve.
In a virtual setting, necessary as a result of ongoing COVID-19 travel and movement restrictions, the 2020 ASM will provide opportunities for emergency clinicians to connect with colleagues, reflect on their own experiences during a tumultuous year, and consider the many ongoing challenges and opportunities stemming from the pandemic response.
Alongside sessions on cultural safety, equity, diversity and leadership, the program includes:
- Under Pandemic Pressure: How are we doing?
- Panel Discussion: Learnings from the 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic
- Panel Discussion: Applying Lessons from COVID-19 to Tackling Climate Crisis
- No Going Back: A Vision for the future of Emergency Medicine
- Equity in the Emergency Department, with a highly qualified panel including the 2021 Queensland Australian of the Year, Dr Dinesh Palipana
- Foundation Lecture by John Whaanga, Deputy Director-General, Māori Health, Aotearoa New Zealand Ministry of Health
- Tom Hamilton Oration: Clinical Research, Evidence and Emergency Medicine by Professor Daniel Fatovich
- President’s Half Hour, with Dr John Bonning
A full list of invited speakers and the conference program are available on the ASM website. Journalists interested in attending ASM sessions should email [email protected] or phone +61 498 068 023 to facilitate access.
Background: ACEM is the peak body for emergency medicine in Australia and New Zealand, responsible for training emergency physicians and advancement of professional standards. www.acem.org.au