An expert report and resulting recommendation relating to the Mt Wellington Cableway Company’s planning application, proposing construction of a cable car and associated infrastructure on kunanyi/Mt Wellington, has been published on the City of Hobart’s website today.
The report will be considered by the Hobart City Council, acting as the Planning Authority, at a Special Meeting next Tuesday (27 July).
City of Hobart CEO Kelly Grigsby said the 1300-page planning application and 16,500 public representations had been carefully considered by an expert assessment panel against the provisions of the Hobart Interim Planning Scheme 2015.
“Assessing a project of this nature is a huge task, which is why the City engaged external planning professionals with extensive experience dealing with large and complex development applications to work alongside our own knowledgeable and experienced staff,” Ms Grigsby said.
“Like any planning application assessment, the process undertaken has been in line with our statutory obligations, and we are proud of the enormous effort that has been put into maintaining a comprehensive and professional process.
“This is arguably one of the most important planning assessment undertaken by this organisation and I thank everyone involved for their contribution.”
A Special Meeting of Council will be held in the Hobart City Council Chambers at 5pm on Tuesday 27 July. It will be broadcast live via the City of Hobart’s YouTube channel (youtube.com/c/CityofHobart) and members of the public are encouraged to watch the meeting from the warmth and comfort of home.
Anyone who can’t access the livestream at home is invited to attend Mathers House, located at 108-110 Bathurst Street, Hobart.
The full report can be found on the City of Hobart’s website at hobartcity.com.au/planning/cablecar.